Thursday, December 23, 2010

And in the beginning there was a City Mouse and a Country Mouse

Hello blogosphere!

Welcome everyone (anyone?) to my blog. I’ve created this to help myself, and be helped you (anyone?) as I set off on my next big adventure. I’m a city woman through and through, and I am about to move to the country. Why? Illogical decisions spring from that which defies logic – oh yes – love.

I fell in love with a Country Man. Not just a man from the country, but a Country Man. He has open spaces in his veins and wide horizons in his eyes. When he visits me in my natural habitat, the intense dog-eat-dog culture which is normal Sydney inner-city life, his look of confusion is both amusing and illuminating.

What is as natural as the air I breathe is often shocking to him. This man would not love living in Sydney. I love living in Sydney. And I have a job I love, love, love, love which happens to be – yes, in Sydney. But I love him and we want to make a life together.

We’ve weighed every option: I go there, he comes here, we go somewhere new for both of us ½ way between the Hunter Valley and Sydney. Hmmmm……..

So we commute. And commute. And commute. And commute. What I have learned this year is that I am not good at long distance relationships. Patience, always far from my strong point ,is absolutely necessary for a long distance love to survive and thrive. I’m learning to be more patient. And more trusting. Ooohhhh, patience and trust - tricky waters indeed.

Tears, frustration and mental acrobatics – at least all that angst has meant I have come up with a solution. I live with him, in the Hunter Valley, for three days and four nights and I live in Sydney for four days and three nights. For some indefinable reason the nights had to weigh in favour of the Hunter Valley, or it wouldn’t work emotionally for me. Don’t ask. I don’t know why either.

Questions uppermost in my mind now are (but not limited to): How will I stop becoming a country frump? How will I keep my creative edge? Where will I find a great yoga and pilates centre? How will I deal with the ‘limited’ nature of the country women I keep encountering? Where are the girls with attitude? Will I grieve for the big chunk of my life left behind?

3 comments:

  1. You could NEVER be frumpy. You'll be a FAB countrywoman. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine you becoming frumpy either.

    Look forward to following your blog postings with keen interest.

    wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because you move to the country does not maketh the woman frumpy!! There are gyms etc., ggogle! Your creative edge should get better less distractions & easier living :) Well, regarding the woman it depends where you seek them, maybe the challenge is to find them - I am sure they are there! You may well miss the city, however, once you go back a few times you will find you will lose the interest/enthusiam - I have been there done that, don't miss it anymore :)

    ReplyDelete